Monday, January 09, 2006

Octagon Flowers


















Honestly, Sam's Blog over at Mad Fabri-holic really should have a warning label! First she has me buying yarn and knitting up scarfs and now look - Octagon flowers. I was so excited about her current quilt in progress, even more excited that my eye right away saw that you could piece this quilt with no set in seams, that I started sewing all my 2.5 strips together. And here you have it - some octagon flowers - all sewn into 1/2 circles because I was going to sew them together in straight rows. Sigh - why is MATH (my least favorite subject) so prevalent in my favorite hobby (quilting)? I should have paid more attention in Geometry. Because, as you all can see... I used a 45 degree Kaleidoscope ruler and now have 8 sided octagons instead of the nifty 6 sided hexagons that Sam has.

The good news is that I can still avoid set-in seams by putting triangles on the bottom edges of each octagon. But I have an added design element of those setting squares. So, now the question is- what colors should I use them? I am thinking hour glasses 1/2 black and 1/2 ???

I'm having fun making these and already see some future projects using this pattern... I like the idea of using all the same fabric for dark outer circles and light middle circles and then the whirly gig in the middle. Or maybe just the same fabric for the middle circles. Perhaps smaller circles... The great thing about taking a photo of a quilt in progress is that you can look at it with a different perspective and start asking yourself - "What if...." questions.

Some more happy things about these octagon flowers (they are octagons, right?)...
1. They are BRIGHT, which is a good thing on yet another gray, rainy day.

2. I actually figured out what to do with all those fabrics that somehow ended up in my shopping cart every time I clicked the little mouse on my computer. Once they arrived I had to ask myself... "whatever was I thinking!!!". So, I am relieved that I am putting them to good use.

3. They are easy to make - all you need are a bunch of strips (width doesn't really matter, I just happened to have these already cut into 2.5") and the ruler.

4. Oh yeah, and I am actually using that ruler that I paid - oh I can't remember exactly, but something like $11.95 for. It is good to use what you have.


Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely blocks - I think I would have the little background squares all black, but whatever you choose will make a striking quilt.

Laurie Ann said...

Hmmmm. Love the pattern and really love the brights. I like how the polka dots contrasts with the stripes. Can't wait to see how you finish it up!! She says as she takes notes in her notebook ....

Cathi said...

Thanks for the welcome over on my new blog...I saw those hexagons on Spamantha's blog, and now I'm loving the octagons...might have to put that on my goody list one of those kaleido rulers!

I've been reading your blog from time to time, but am now quite addicted, so you'll probably see me around more often!

Cathi in Ireland

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I love the kaleidoscope flowers!! What a great quilt!

Bonnie

Nancy said...

Love those blocks. Another example of how a hodgepodge of fabric all look great togehter when done very scrappy. And I agree with Sandra. I'd use black for the background squares. It'll make all those brights just pop out.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh these are fun! I'm glad you posted them! I like the idea of the black and white hourglass setting - it will set the colors off well I think. Or as Sandra suggested just all black. That would be awesome as well.

Cher said...

nice and bright, I even have some of those fabrics myself-be sure and post the next stitching step-I am curious how it will turn out-Cher

The Calico Cat said...

Since you asked - I would use a solid square - black would work....

I am just not sure how an hour glass would help/enhance that lovely octagons.

quiltpixie said...

Your octogons look great. With the right colours could be very retro... I love the bright cheerful feeling they have to them -- and can understand your celebrating no set-in seams!

Laurie said...

Evelyn,
WOW...very neat! I like the way they pop on the white! or how about a yellow or turquoise? Anything you do will be fine!!!
Hugs
Laurie

Samantha said...

I love love love them- and love the colors! I too would use a black background...

Sorry to be such a bad influence on you ;-)

Inga said...

Hi there, a fellow european quilter!

How nice colours and original blocks. I'm making a linklist on my blog, where I intend to have interesting links from all over the world. I'm putting a link to your blog, if that's ok with you. Thanks for the comment on my blog

Inga