Monday, September 01, 2008

August Rolls By


August rolled right on by in a blur! Summer is the busiest time of year for my business and I am usually pretty right out straight busy! The past few days there has been a bit of a lull before the schedule picks up again and I've been relaxing. I think that today was the 1st day all month that when I got out of bed in the morning I didn't have protesting pain shooting through my feet and legs. Is it no wonder that during my free time I seek out the peace of nature?

*
OK, so maybe biking on our hills isn't so relaxing, but LB dearly loves a bike ride. We don't have a bike trail or even a shoulder of the road to ride on and then add in the hills... so we have this lovely tandem bike - a wonderful solution! We can go about 7 miles with 2 bum breaks for LB - I am thinking that maybe he needs a more comfy seat? We didn't go as often as I would have liked because I just didn't think I had the energy in my legs all the time, but glorious autumn days are fast approaching and my schedule won't be so busy (which also means less traffic to boot).






Bird watching is very popular in our area as we are right on a migratory route. Here is LB looking through a scope at some sort of very exciting bird to see in this region (all I know is that he was reddish and sort-ov big - I know, dismal!). That is a very well known bird guide (who travels all over the world leading bird groups) introducing LB to the wonders of bird watching with a powerful scope! Bird watching through the lens of the camera - now that I can handle - and here are a few shots. I think that yellow bird might be a yellow warbler, but don't count on it! LOL. I think that the duck shot of him landing - I can sharpen it up and fix the lighting a bit better - but when I just don't know! I just liked the 2 photos together as a series so thought I would share.





























We are never too busy to stop and enjoy a beautiful vista in our travels. This is a little place that we stopped along during our trip to Hopewell Rocks area. That lighthouse is sometimes called the Traveling Lighthouse because it is thought that it has been moved 6-7 times.














The flowers of August seem a bit more subdued than July's. The poppys are going to seed and the neighboring gardeners that have poppys have shared with LB. It is amazing really - those pods dry up and the top has holes - when you can shake the pod and hear the seeds rattle around you can pour the seeds out - almost like a salt shaker (bottom right of the photo collage)! Don't laugh. I am NOT a gardener! But with help from kind gardeners in the area, I am learning. LB just delights in gardens so I really am trying to learn all I can!







Here are 2 photos of friends gardens...

















I do have a funny gardening story to share, but another day...
*
Sewing? Not so much. I have made bits and pieces of progress on my blue quilt. And I've knit 1 sock for LB. The mate is just started so give me a week or so....

Goodbye August. You have been alot of work, but alot of fun too. We've had fun!

2 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Look at those Hollyhocks! And little boy... growing so tall, too!! A lovely "farewell to summer" post. Enjoy your days of memory making... Life is GOOD.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow such beautiful pictures and such great scenery. Children do make us seek the best in ourselves, and to appreciate the beauty around us.