Saturday, February 13, 2010

Too Pretty to Cut


This fabric collection is from a "tower" I bought ages and ages ago - all Moda fabrics.  Isn't it pretty?  And tropical.  A bit of sunshine during a cold, gray, extra gray winter.  Did I mention... gray?  But - don't you think it might be just a little bit too pretty to cut?  Do you have fabric that you think is too pretty to cut?

Just look at these beautiful prints.  Ahhh.  It is a pile of fabrics that I like to take out and look at and "pet" a little bit every now and then.  So pretty.  But what does one actually DO with such a fabric?  Hummm.


Well this week that fabric finally met my rotary cutter.  Please do notice that I have found my green cutting mat!  Actually DH did - it was on top of our cabinets - being stored nice and flat, just very out of sight!  I thought I was going a bit wiggy because I really did think that I left that mat here - and sure enough I did.   Anyway - I cut just a little 4.5" strip off of each fabric to make a pile of 4.5" squares - and seeing that each piece is 1/2 yard - there is still plenty left over just to admire.  But isn't it so much more fun to admire your fabrics when it is in a quilt!

After being sick, sick, sick for 3 weeks (chest X-rays and all, but new meds are helping and I actually have energy to sew again - in little spurts) I decided to go with the easiest pattern of all time.  A nine-patch.  I don't even bother matching up fabrics because it won't matter because. ..  now watch me make it disappear....
Yup - the good old Disappearing Nine Patch!  All the blocks are different and I am being careful to place the big prints in the squares that aren't sliced.  I mean really - now that I've worked up the nerve to cut that big print fabric once, please don't think I am going to cut it twice!  I think this is going to be a great quilt... very tropical!  I'm glad that I finally did cut that fabric!
*
I need to check out the book below for other big print fabric quilt ideas!

19 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

WOW I can't wait to see the finished product. Beautiful fabrics.

Brenda said...

And it's a bit of cheer on those grey days. You are creating a sunshinny quilt while it's not so sunny outside!! This is going to be beautiful!! And yes, nice and easy - but when done, it won't look that way!!! Have fun!!

Tamera said...

What a PERFECT solution! Can't wait to see it finished.

Lindah said...

You have had a long siege; so glad you are feeling on the mend. I seem to be under attack now; haven't the energy of a rag doll. :-p Your fabrics are great. They will make a cheery, springey quilt.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Beautiful! Hury up .... I want to see some blocks together! Email me .... I want to show you something I saw at Canadian Tire today.

Paula, the quilter said...

I have a largish stack of floral fabric that I've been eying and wondered how to use. This just might be the ticket. Thanks.

Katie Z. said...

Glad you are finally feeling better! What cheery fabrics.

the writer said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

I absolutely adore your fabrics!

But I understand the hesitancy to cut into it. . .oh, though, the start of the D9P is looking really nice.

Can't wait to see the flimsy. I'm sure it will definitely chase those gray days away.

Quiltsmiles said...

Looks great so far, will be nice to see it all blended together, It does have a tropic feel. Jane

Vivian said...

I am the same way with cutting beautiful fabric. Sometimes I just look at it because I cannot make myself cut into it until I find that perfect pattern.

Scrappy-Quilter said...

what a nice splash of color to brighten up one's day.
hope you feel better soon

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

These fabrics are awesome and the Disappearing 9-patch is the perfect choice. I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt AND the dresses

Judy D in WA said...

Gorgeous fabrics! This quilt will brighten your gray days. These are such fun blocks to work with.

Vicky said...

Wonderful fabric! It's going to be dynamite in your disappearing nine-patch. And, yes, I have a ton of too-pretty-to-cut fabric! (sigh) Hope you get well soon.

Lori in South Dakota said...

a SPRING quilt!! Go Evelyn!

Amy said...

Love the colors and I think that block is perfect for it!

Brenda said...

This design seems to work with every kind of fabric. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Jeanne said...

Just popped in to say "thinking of you." Hope your days are brightening, and that you'll get to go home soon.
Jeanne

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, wish you a speedy full recovery. It is hard to cut up fabric, but it looks like you are going to make them even more beautiful in a quilt.