Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Do You Love Rhubarb?


Do you love rhubarb?  I have one BIG rhubarb plant - you can chop and chop rhubarb off of it clear until October!  This plant is the plant that almost wasn't - you see... the patio got topped with concrete.  Fortunately, DH knew I liked this plant and had the crew concrete AROUND it!  Actually - this works great - the concrete keeps the rhubarb warm and I think that is why it produces into the fall.  These stalks got a little big before I got around the chopping... but don't worry!  They will be made into rhubarb punch!  It is a very popular drink around here.

This all got chopped, sealed and put into the deep freeze for punch later this summer.
*
Now is a great time of year to put up strawberry/rhubarb jam or pie filling.  Can your own... or buy it ready made here!  My Dad likes his stewed and served over icecream.  
*
If you are going to can your own, please consider purchasing your canning supplies through my Amazon links over on the right hand side-bar.  Out of curiosity I was searching on Amazon for rhubarb-y type things and found a rhubarb/pear candle and rhubarb soap.  In my family, we are big on food gift-giving.  I am thinking of making little gift baskets this year with some homemade jam, plus other items with the same theme.  Right now I am just too busy to be canning, but I am freezing things and some quiet day, I will can up a bunch!
*
 Last week at quilt group, one of the members brought in the most delicious rhubarb muffins!  Yum.  The group is working on another community fund-raiser quilt.  Obviously, not everyone can quilt at the same time so I bring my little knitting bag, knit and visit!  The frame starts out very big and rolls inward on both sides as the quilt is quilted - as you can see - it is almost entirely quilted now!

And a random photo I took yesterday when I was travelling.  I loved this tractor!  



No comments: